9.22.2014

Bad Habits I Hope to Beat



As I’m buying my own place this year, I hope I can overcome some of those awful traits I’ve accumulated over the last few years…. I was quite a well-trained child but five years of living in shared accommodation has made me really lazy. Have any of you heard of the Broken Window Theory? It’s a criminology theory so I won’t pretend to be an expert, but essentially, if your environment is a mess, you’ll add to it. If your environment is lovely, you’ll keep it nice….

Anyway, the point I’m making is that when there are already bloated white slugs in the washing-up bowl and an ashtray upturned on the sofa, you’re less inclined to get the hoover out and have a quick whip ‘round!

Anyway, here are a few bad habits I’d like to beat.

FLOORDROBE
It is a mystery. How does my bedroom end up covered in clothes by the end of every week? Maybe because I come home and strip off instantly? Maybe because I try on 5498 outfits before every night out? Maybe because I wear two outfits every day (cyclist problems…)? Regardless of the cause, I’d like to sort it out.
STATUS: working on it…


STARVING CHILDREN
so, I’m quite greedy and I love love love food. My worst habit is eating too much, because I always hear my Mum’s voice going, ‘there are children in 3rd world countries that are starving to death, and you’re letting those potato smilies go to waste….’ I blame her for my short comings. I also clean my plate, and my friends’ plates. That last slice of cake in the office? ‘Oh, go on, if it’s going to waste…’ I eat until I’m sick, but I also do plenty of exercise, so it kind of balances out. In all honesty, I LOVE this bad habit. We all deserve to over-indulge once in a while.
STATUS: this habit’s here to stay!



RISKY LIVING
I am terribly tight. I hate spending money. Particularly money I can’t see that I’ve spent. Insurance is a perfect example of this. I don’t drive, so my lack of insurance has never had any legal ramifications. However, I have lived without contents insurance, home insurance, bike insurance, phone insurance and even TRAVEL insurance for five years. Probably shouldn’t admit that last one, my Mum will be so angry…. However, I’m off to Croatia next weekend and I have done the deed! I’ve actually bought myself some insurance!
STATUS: Habit, BUSTED!



I’d love to hear your own habits!

No comments:

Post a Comment